If your pet is edging past the ideal weight, they might be at risk of contracting diseases and other ailments such as organ failure, obesity, arthritis, and more. At Albert North Veterinary Clinic, our veterinarians and highly trained technicians can help get your pet on the path to a successful weight loss plan. We will help you maintain that plan and help you reach success every step of the way. To book a weight consultation for your pet, call us at 306-545-7211.
How can weight reduction help my pet?
An ideal weight means that your pet is less prone to diseases that are a direct result of obesity. Weight can sometimes complicate existing conditions such as arthritis. A lighter body means less stress on your pet’s joints which will help them move easier as they age. Weight reduction greatly impacts quality of life and can significantly increase a pet’s lifespan.
How can I help my cat reduce weight?
Before you start changing your cat’s diet and activities, the best thing to do is consult a veterinarian. They will help devise an effective plan suited to your pet. An effective weight management plan has the following components:
- Activities and exercise routine for your cat
- Change in feeding strategy
- Structured caloric intake plan
How can I change my feeding strategy?
Here are some tips to help you change your feeding strategy to eliminate overfeeding your pet:
- Serve food in designated pet food bowls
- Keep track of snacks/treats and feed only necessary amounts
- Consistency is vital when your pet is on a weight management plan
- Build a chart to help you keep track of when and what you are feeding
- Buy low-calorie treats
- Stick to the plan that your veterinarian has built